Having been immersed in Chinese culture while growing up, the Lunar New Year was definitely one festival I would look forward to the most. Of course, I enjoy receiving the lucky red envelopes, which come with flashing dollar bills. It was also the delectable family meals, which I seemed to have the best memory off.
As a mixed-race individual, I remember celebrating the Lunar New Year as a kid in Asia with my dad’s side of the family and how special it was. Imagine Lion Dances, parades, shopping, and great food, Vancouver has them all, and they are here all year round.
Chinatown in Vancouver is pretty historic and definitely a great part of what Vancouver stands today. The Lunar New Year is believed to be the most auspicious time of the year. Think gifts, new clothes and all the goodness life can offer.
It was hard to find the perfect red coat, and this is the closest it gets to seeing a red coat that works for men. In addition, this is an easy look to put together.
On my first look, I styled this maroon/ red coat. All the colours in the palette of red are considered lucky. Comfy fitted denim, a basic tee, a little red man clutch and you’re good. Do add that little style quotient if you want to stand out. Also, I am sharing an alternative style look if you enjoy dressing casually. Perfect for afternoon tea, family gatherings, or dinners.
Sharing a few Chinese New Year gift ideas for the man in your life. No matter if it’s your dad, brother, husband, partner or boyfriend take them to eat at an authentic Chinese restaurant, shop some luxe gifts and have a memorable new year.
- Moet Hennessy for the gentleman: It’s a great way to sip into the New Year with friends and family over the Hennessy cognac. Crafted for centuries, mastered and refined, Hennessy V.S.O.P. Privilege embodies Harmony and makes for a perfect Lunar Year gift
- Gift a timeless watch from the Bulgari Boutique at Holt Renfrew in Vancouver. The recently opened luxury boutique has some fine jewellery, handbags and watches for both men and women. I particularly love this men’s watch from their slim series of watches.
- Every man deserves to be pampered. The limited edition L’Ocittane X Riffles Paper Company collaboration launched a new range of shea butter that makes for a cute gift idea. These are already beautifully packaged with the designs of Riffles Paper Company. The set comes in shea butter hand creams and balms. They come in travel sizes as well, a must have in everyone’s grooming kit.
- Sipping some fancy tea is the best part of celebrating the New Year’s. TWG Tea has some brilliant tea options as well as a limited edition Breakfast Bulldog Tea. The Tea is an affectionate one with variation in flavours; it can be enjoyed over the lunar year celebrations at their Vancouver salon.
- I love the Thomas Sabo charm club and this time around they are launching an exclusive collection to celebrate Chinese New Year. It’s a must have for both men & women. They are cute and definitely irresistible.
- Staycation at the Parq Vancouver. If you are in Vancouver, and you haven’t already checked out the Downtown Casino, Market East restaurant and the fun spots in this luxury hotel. Then you’re absolutely missing out. Book a staycation. It’s an absolute delight, you won’t regret at all.
- Gift your dear ones a pair of red kicks from Native Shoes. The Vancouver born brand has tons of stylish and comfortable shoes for all your loved ones. They are affordable and perfect for the west coast lifestyle.
Wishing you guys a prosperous Lunar New Year, no matter wherever in the world you might be celebrating this occasion. And even if you are not I hope this gift guide and far eastern inspired look gives you some ideas on your next trip.
Happy to hear what you guys think about this post. Let me know what you guys end up shopping this Lunar New Year. I have posted some fun images on my Facebook page and Instagram ( @Jonathanho1) see below and on the right.
The images belong to WaichingsWall.com